The history of Starr’s Bar goes all the way back to 1933 when the original owner Ernie Starr decided to open a bar right when the prohibition in the US was coming to an end.
Originally Starr’s Bar started just down the road from where it currently resides today. During that time, the building was a mercantile store that dated back to the 1850’s that catered to railroad workers. In 1942, Ernie bought the building from the Sherry family and made it the official home for Starr’s Bar.
OVER THE YEARS
Over the years, the bar became “the spot” for locals to meet up after a long day at work or to come watch the Packers play. Ernie’s daughter and other family members lived in the apartment upstairs for several years to help maintain Starr’s Bar and it’s local reputation. For a time, the upstairs apartment became a temporary rental for out of towners to have a place to stay or for the husbands who didn’t want to go home to an angry wife.
In September of 2016, we bought Starr’s Bar. Our goal is to keep Starr’s the friendly neighborhood bar it is known for. Our intentions are to add a kitchen and entertainment with the mission to keep it “the spot” a friendly neighborhood bar for years to come.
OTHER MOMENTS IN OUR HISTORY
Local Military Celebrate The End Of World War II In The Fall Of 1945.
Starr's Bar Once Had A Barber Shop.
Ernie Starr's Daughter In A War Era Jeep Parked In Front Of Starr's Bar. Fall 1945.